Stereotype of PhD students: no social skills.
Why? Because they are either too intelligent, too specialized or spend too much time alone. I have met enough sociable graduate students to have dispelled this myth for myself. And I thought that, going into the program at the ripe age of 27, I had a firm foundation of character and would be impenetrable to this. I have since realized I was wrong. I spend most of the day alone and when I do emerge into the world of the living I resemble a zombie and it takes me a while to readjust to fresh air and the presence of people. But what's worst of all is that I now tend to just want to talk when I see people. Not converse but monologue because it is just sooo nice to have someone who will listen (or pretends) to me. Really must watch that... I have always loved asking people questions and I don't want to lose that sense of curiosity....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment