- Telling my PhD supervisor that she should change her picture on her website (was that a faux pas???). It did fit into the conversation!
- Revealing to my supervisor that one of her other students (who is studying the abolition movement) didn't know who Thomas Fowell Buxton was, a major actor in the British emancipation momvement in the 1830s (another faux pas???). Why was this funny for me? My prof views Buxton as one of her babies - she loves him. The other student was not impressed that I outed him and had to look Buxton up on wikipedia right away. Am still awaiting his revenge.
- Trying to figure out what to call our professors with other PhD students (mainly the one I outed). First name? Dr + last name? This gets especially complicated when they sign their emails with their first name but have never formally told you to call them by their first name... Awkward. I tackled it head on by addressing it with my primary supervisor but am still calling my other supervisor Dr. ---, although it does feel slightly contrived. And to make matters worse, I just found out that I have been spelling the last name of my 2nd supervisor wrong over the past week or two... Apparently there is no 'e' at the end!
- Meeting someone who is internally reversed. What does that mean? He is visibly left-handed but is actually right-handed because the right side of his brain is actually on the left side. Confusing? I suppose the best way to explain it is his heart is on the right side. Cool fact to be able to reveal about yourself, not so cool if you're revealing it because you need a heart transplant (chances of finding a heart built to be inserted in the right-hand cavity of the chest are close to zero).
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
PhD & Montreal Moments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment