Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Quote of the Week

I actually have two quotes, although one is from last year.

1) Sometimes one meets people that truly embody national stereotypes. Recently, for example, I met an American. And this is what she said:

"What language do they speak in China... Is it Portuguese?"

"No, they speak speak Portuguese in Portugual and Brazil."

She didn't look convinced, although eventually we guided her to the right answer. Today I even asked my students what language they speak in China and most of them knew.

Please note that I do have American friends and I respect their intelligence.

2) I have a picture of my nephew with a dinosaur (statue) behind him on my door. On of my Ugandan coworkers came up to me and in all earnesty said, "So, do dinosaurs live in Canada?"

If I had a T-rex towering over me like that, I am sure I would not be smiling for the camera, regardless of being a baby or not.

1 comment:

Mari said...

Oh these quotes are precious!! Thanks for the laugh, especially on the dinosaur comment!!!