Monday, March 9, 2009

Little Miss Popular

By being white in Uganda I often have random people come up to me on the street asking for jobs, friendships, a relationship, love or a sale. Today I was walking down the street when a girl of about 20 blocked my way. There was no way I could avoid her, yet I was in no mood to chat.

“Hi, my name is Maggie.”

“Hi………………” She waited for my name, but I didn’t feel like providing it. Finally she continued.

“Can I be your friend?” asked she.

I declined the kind offer, which I had already received so many times before. One can never be too careful. Once a man even came up to me to ask if he could be my watchman. Imagine that, giving a random guy on the street a job with so much trust involved. I wonder what he was thinking!

Once I had another offer of friendship. Apparently that man wanted a mzungu friend to introduce him to the Queen of England. When I told him I was German and could not introduce him to the queen, he didn’t even flinch and asked to meet the Chancellor of Germany instead. I was surprised he knew that Germany had a chancellor, but I declined his offer nevertheless.

No comments: