Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Representing EWA

I presented the following speech in front of approximately 200 people at a Speech Day (Parent’s Day) last Friday at a school that my organization is supporting. Afterwards many people shook my hand, including the mayoral representative. I think they were all convinced that I speak Luganda… It was great fun, especially as I was dressed up in a beautiful African dress I had tailored for myself (see picture below). Humility is an attribute that is highly prized and encouraged in Uganda and I fail daily in that department: the celebrity status I am assigned by many people here makes it impossible not to want to parade around like a peacock and bask in their affection and delight...

Abemikwano abayizi, abasomesa, abazadde, nabemikwano.

Mwebale nyo okutuyita wano ku Kigungu P/S okubawo kulunaku luno. Nze Marie Luise ne Joseph tukola wamu. Tuze okukyikirira Entebbe Women Associatian, mubufunze EWA kumukoro guno.

Education is important – it is key to not only your individual success but also that of your
country. That is why EWA supports Kigungu Primary School. In constructing new class rooms, planting trees and providing books, EWA hopes to create a better learning environment for you, the future leaders of Uganda.

Twebaza abasomesa okwewayo okuyigiriza abayizi. Mwe abayizi tubagariza buwanguzi mu missomo gyamwe,okusingira mu bigezo byamwe bye mwatudde. Okusoma kwamwe kubaberere ekubo erye ekisera ekitangavu ekyo omumaso.

Mwebale nyo.

1 comment:

Mari said...

Wow that is impressive! Way to go! A strong message in little words